Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

January 18, 2007

Kenna came and colored my hair today. No more gray, at least for a few weeks.

I took Ty's blood pressure and it was 127/100 - probably not a valid reading. When we took him into chemo it was 176/116 - dangerously high. We figured out that it might be a renal artery problem. When he has been sitting for an hour, the artery in his right kidney starts sending out signals that it isn't getting enough blood flow and so the heart must work harder. They have prescribed a drug that should block that signal. The main concern is that the left kidney might be having trouble too and really needs the increased blood supply. They will monitor him closely and we will be careful that his is not sitting for long periods of time - it's probably a wonder that he made it home alive after last week's chemo (2 1/2 hours in the car!) All his numbers look good. Dr. Randall's nurse contacted Dr. Chen's office and sent all the treatment notes over for review. They should be contacting us soon to schedule an appointment with her.

My TSH is .02 - definitely hyperthyroid and suppressed. The uncomfortable swelling in my neck has finally gone away. Next week I'll get my thyroglobulin results.

Ellie was not doing so well so when I got home at 6:30 from Ty's marathon chemotherapy day, I bundled her up and went to the doctor's office. She hasn't lost any weight, but she's only had two wet diapers today and two diarrhea ones - both required baths. The doctor said that if she has diarrhea longer than 10-14 days, they'll have to culture it.

I have been reading a very inspiring book about Irene Gut. She was an extraordinary ordinary woman who made a difference to several Jews in WWII. I don't think I can rightly complain about any circumstance I am in - I will always be more fortunate than the eastern europeans of the 1940s.

Read to kids, practiced piano. Changed a boatload of diapers!

No comments: