Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday, February 11, 2007

A storm has moved in-a hesitant rain that falls against rain and roof, then waits for a moment before falling again. It is a snuggle under the covers with a book kind of day. Just now, I heard a strange popping sound like that of bacon exploding on a hot skillet. I assumed it was the fat in the roast beef I have going in the crock pot. Suddenly it became a steady rhythmic sound, as though someone were hanging pictures in the attic above the kitchen. I went to investigate. It wasn't the crock pot and I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. It sounded like it was on the roof. I leaned over and looked out the kitchen window. A woodpecker was busy rapping his beak against the house just above the kitchen window.  smacked my hand hard against the glass - the woodpecker probably had the scare of his life and he flew off. All his excitement stirred up the birds in our willow trees and they flew up, circled in our backyard, and scattered to various neighboring rooftops.

We invited my parents over for dinner. We had roast, carrots, potatoes, salad, corn, and apple passion mango juice. The kids disappeared to the basement for a game of flashlight tag while my mom and I did dishes and made up some hot fudge pudding cake. Doreen stayed up and visited for awhile. It was a nice afternoon.

Ellie did not recognize my dad. I think his beard scared her a bit. She gradually warmed up to him.

No comments: